Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Introducing Your Boswellians: Nick

~
Name: Nick Berg
Position:
Bookseller, philosopher, hunky dude



1. Why did you want to work in a bookstore?
There are three things every great city must possess: an old movie theater, a good coffee shop and a great bookstore. In Milwaukee, you can find all of these components on the same block. From the moment I stepped onto Downer Avenue, and likewise, into Boswell Books, I knew I’d found nirvana.

2. Which section of the store would you consider your “specialty”?
Normally nonfiction (history, science, cooking, etc), but I’ll admit to a fondness for children’s books. I’m an illustrator, and I draw a lot of inspiration from the work of the masters - Dr. Seuss, Tomie dePaola, Chris van Allsburg, Eric Carle, E.B. White, Quentin Blake, Don Wood, Maurice Sendak...

3. What book has kept a permanent place on your “favorite books” list?
Cloudy With a Chance Of Meatballs. Ron Barrett’s illustrations were what inspired wee, little six-year-old Nick to pick up a pencil and draw.

4. What’s on your reading list right now?
I’m digging science and physics writing lately – I’m working through Brian Cox and Michio Kaku at the moment. I’ve been a huge fan of cooking literature lately as well; can’t wait to read Blood, Bones & Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton, The Sorcerer’s Apprentices by Lisa Abend, It Must Have Been Something I Ate by Jeffrey Steingarten, and A History Of The World In 6 Glasses by Tom Standage.

5. Who is your newest favorite author?
Mary Roach; she’s brilliant. And Stephen Fry is hilarious.

6. Which writer would render you speechless if you met him/her?
If he were living, I’d want to sit down for a mojito with Hemingway. Otherwise meeting Bill Bryson would be incredible – the guy’s a genius. I’d imagine a conversation with him would be amazing.

7. With which fictional character can you most relate?
Calvin, of Bill Watterson's genius Calvin and Hobbes comic strips: Adventurous, an avid comic book reader, intensely imaginative, curious, inexplicably intelligent, loyal, extraordinarily well-spoken and deeply philosophical, yet prone to pure idiocy. Sounds like me!

8. Someone wrote your biography – what is the title?
I Hope You Wore Clean Underwear.

9. If you were a super-villain, what would be your name and who would be your arch-nemesis?
The Quoter – I’d speak only in dialogue from film and television - with terrible impersonations included, of course. My arch-nemesis would be Captain Copyright.

10. You’ve been asked to select four commercial-free hours worth of programming for a cable TV station, what shows/movies would you put on it?
Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

11. What pop culture decade would help your team win Trivia Night, thanks to you?
I have a certain affinity for all things 90's, but I believe I could hold my own with just about any other decade.

12. Coffee or Tea?
Yes, please.

13. Can you bake a cake?
Boy, can I! I'm also remarkably talented at eating them. I'm happy to show you.

~

No comments:

Post a Comment