Name: Melissa “Mel” Morrow
1. Why did you want to work in a bookstore?So. Many. BOOKS!!! Super-happy nerd overload!!
2. Which section of the store would you consider your “specialty”?Cooking and Comics
3. What book has kept a permanent place on your “favorite books” list?So far: Veganomicon by Moskowitz and Romero. That’s my first go-to when I want to cook something delicious.
4. What’s on your reading list right now?Redshirts by John Scalzi; Womanthology by Renea de Liz; Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robinson; Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry; Marvel 1602 by Neil Gaiman and the list goes on….
5. Who is your newest favorite author?
6. Which writer would render you speechless if you met him/her?Grant Morrison. I would implode, rendering me an inarticulate mess, and not a cool inarticulate mess like the mirror-matter Morrison wrote about in The Invisibles.
7. With which fictional character can you most relate?Metaphorically and on most days, I swing between feeling a lot like Bran Stark and Jon Snow from George R. R. Martin’s series, A Song of Ice and Fire. But there are days when I’m absolutely Dr. John Seward from Bram Stoker’s Dracula.
8. Someone wrote your biography – what is the title?Scatter Plot: The Random Adventures of a Deliberate Person
9. If you were a super-villain, what would be your name and who would be your arch-nemesis?I would be The Nothing, and my arch-nemesis would be Mr. Everything. We would be as tied to each other as Batman and The Joker (see Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas for a detailed analysis of the nemesis and arch-enemy relationships starring Batman, The Joker, and Superman).
10. You’ve been asked to select four commercial-free hours worth of programming for a cable TV station, what shows/movies would you put on it?Adventure Time marathon!!!
11. What pop culture decade would help your team win Trivia Night, thanks to you?Sadly, 2002 to 2012.
12. Coffee or Tea?Four Loko. Watch out!
13. Can you bake a cake?My specialty is baklava.