Monday, February 3, 2014
Meet Your Boswellians: Jannis Mindel!
This month's Featured Boswellian is our Ambassador of Story Times, Jannis! Swing by the kids' section the second Sunday of every month at 11 AM to hear Jannis read some of your favorite stories!
1. What do you love about working at Boswell Book Company?
The chance to hear and sometimes meet some of my favorite authors. It's still a thrill and makes me act like a ridiculous fan girl.
2. What’s your absolute most favorite of all the things in Boswell right now?
I love our collection of Folkmanis puppets. They're beautifully made and kids gravitate to them the minute they walk into the childrens department.
3. What’s your absolute most favorite of all the books ever?
I think it's always hard for a voracious reader of books to choose just one favorite. However, Charlotte's Web is probably the book I've come back to again and again even as an adult. The language and the story are beautiful and universal. And no matter how many times I've read it I always cry at the end.
4. What’s on your staff rec shelf?
Jumping Penguins-gorgeous illustrations and quirky facts about animals. Eleanor and Park- sad and sweet story of first love in Omaha in the 80's. Burial Rites-haunting historical fiction about the last woman to be executed in Iceland in 1829. More than This - Patrick Ness' brilliant and hard to describe sort of futuristic teen novel. A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel-fantastic graphic novel of the the beloved classic.
5. For which writer—living or dead—would you take a bullet?
Sherman Alexie. I've had the chance to see him speak a few times and he's hilarious. Plus his books are wonderful, especially The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.
6. With which character can you most relate and why?
Harriet the Spy. She's smart, inquisitive and weird.
7. Someone wrote your biography – what is the title?
Loud Fast Rules.
8. If you were a super hero/ine, what would be your name, and what’s your power?
Hmmm, I can't think of a good superhero name but I'd love to have the ability to grow taller.
9. Which band or artist would you drop everything to party with?
That's a hard one. Probably the Talking Heads. They were so strange, smart and innovative. I came of age with their music.
10. What’s your spirit animal?
Panda. I have no idea why but I've loved them since I was a kid.
11. Forget “you are what you eat.” We’re talking dranks—what beverage are you?
Beer forever and always.
12. Now we’re talking…dreams. What’s yours?
To finally write the book I've been thinking about for the past 8 years...